Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Good Luck to the Class of 2014


Have you ever had one of those days, weeks, months or years that your emotions kind of remind you of this picture?


For me, this last month has been just this way, very stormy and not a little horrifying. This will be my last post, and since I don't like to leave those who have been following my blog hanging and wondering where I went, I will relate a little of why I won't be hiking the trail this year.





On January 11, Lego went to the doctors office to check out why his blood test for life insurance he had taken showed that his heart was stressed and he was uninsurable. At the doctors office, he was informed that the EKG was not normal, and that he had a heart attack a week earlier. He was showing no symptoms other than he was very pale. The doctor drove him to the ER, and then the "fun" started.

For the next week, Lego would be in intensive care receiving blood transfusions (he only had 1/3 of his blood left in his body), undergoing an angiogram, and weathering another heart attack in the hospital. The angiogram showed that the bottom half of his heart was barely pumping, he had a blocked artery, and he has a blood clot whirling around in his heart. The good news is that the doctors are giving him a good chance of recovery through medication, and the blocked artery (which is too small for a stent) is being bypassed naturally with another artery. The source of his blood loss still remains a mystery.

What this means for me is that I now get to go out and find a job. My thu hiking days are over for the foreseeable future. This doesn't mean I can't hike parts of the trail when I get time, but to have one swath of 5 months in the summer is gone. This has been a bitter pill to swallow as my emotions race between great concern for Lego's health to the gut wrenching loss of my hike this summer. Now we are in survival mode and making the best of it. God has other plans for me, and I know that we are in good hands.

To the class of 2014, go enjoy the trail, have a great time this summer, and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all (I keep up on everyone's journals). Who knows, we may meet a few of you in Oregon this summer if we get a chance to continue on with our trail angeling.

Thank you to all of my readers and friends who have been following along on my adventures, God bless you all! 

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." ~ Psalms 27:14


8 comments:

  1. Linda, I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. I can only imagine the emotions you've be riding. Your time will come, it's just not right now. I hope Lego is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is feeling much better now. We hope you have an incredible hike through Oregon this summer. I will be following along with you, and we just may be doing some trail magic this year. You never know!

      Delete
  2. Egads. I'm so sorry for you both having to go through this. I just found your blog a bit ago and I was much enjoying it; I'll be praying for you guys and hope to see you out on the trail again sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the way it is? Just when you get to enjoying something, it goes away! Your prayers are much appreciated, and of course we will be out on the trails, even if only just as trail angels for a while.

      Delete
  3. Linda, sorry to hear the news about Lego. Sometimes we take our health for granted and forget to be thankful for all the things we can do - like hiking. We will be praying for Lego and you. Please keep us up to date as often as you feel comfortable and are able. Check in from time to time on our blog and hike along with us - you and Lego will be in our thoughts. Take care and thanks for letting us share along in your adventure last year. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen and Carol, you have been fantastic readers and friends. I will always be reading your hiking blog, you go to such great and scenic places. I will check in occasionally, and I may just start a Guide Dog puppy raising blog soon, when I get a new puppy to train. I hate to stop blogging. It's so fun! Thank you for your prayers my friends, they are working.

      Delete
  4. Oh no poor Legosaurus! I hope he gets better soon, extra big hugs to him!
    Pocahontas: I wrote email to you this morning using the HikingFools address. Check it out :-) It was before I read this blog here... :-/ Many hugs to you two :-) Anne (GummiBear)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GummiBear, it was so nice to hear from you! We did get your email, and will be responding today. Lego is mending, but there have also been a lot of setbacks. He seems to be taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. It's been a rollercoaster for sure.

      Delete