Friday, November 8, 2013

Starting the Training

Friday - November 8, 2013
Word of the Day: Discipline

" Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit". - Wilma Rudolph, American Athlete

I thought that I may as well publish a post using my iPad, as this is what I'll be using along the trail. It is a little harder to find the pictures, but I'm sure that with just a bit more practice, I'll have it down.

So, I have started the physical training most hikers find necessary in order to last the first few miles, let alone the whole trail. My neighborhood is not conducive to strenuous hikes, as it is perfectly flat. Most days I load up my pack and walk really quickly through the streets, hoping to stay out longer and longer, and for more and more miles. These pictures on this post were taken at a nice little park near my house, that is right on the Willamette River.


The Willamette River


I will be using a great two mile unpaved road for my endurance hikes about once a week. It is situated in Sheridan, which is about a 20 min. drive from my home, but it is a tremendous hike. I had been racking my brain to come up with a close hike or at least some stairs I could get some up and down training on, and kept coming up empty. Everything around my house is flat as a pancake, and the buildings are all low. I thought as a last ditch effort I would go over to a parking garage to maybe get at least 4 flights of stairs, but the parking garages are a little creepy. I wouldn't feel comfortable spending much time there.
 
So as Lego and I were driving to Sheridan to see some friends, he came up with the idea of going over to see some people that used to be customers of his, who happen to live on this really neat, unpaved road, that just happens to have a pretty good incline. (Pictures on upcoming posts) We stopped in at their business http://www.loghomestore.com/index.php, and Scotty and the gang thought it would be all right to come train on their road occasionally. They run a business that caters to people who want to build their own log homes, and they seem to have everything needed to build and maintain your very own log cabin. Check them out, they are great people. They also happened to be following our blog this past summer. They offered me the use of their walkie talkies, so if I run into a problem in the woods, I can be in touch, and they can come rescue me. It will be a perfect place to train and think deep thoughts. I could also bring Angel out with me.......

                        on second thought, maybe I'll just leave her with her bones!



 
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self discipline." - 2 Tim. 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment